Today starts day one of my decision to become Vegan. Why? Well, there are quite a few reasons...Have you read about the torture of all the poor animals just for us to eat them? Not worth it. I have known about the torture for years, but last night I read some some things that gave me a new wake up call. Have I always been a meat, seafood, dairy, egg, poultry lover? You bet!!!
What did I read you ask? I picked up the book "Skinny Bitch" at the store last night. I heard about it a long time ago, but was turned off by the name but last night I decided to pick it up with all the raving reviews and to my surprise I could not put it down. That book led me to Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" book which I also passed by several times over the last few months. What do these books have in common? A vegan quality of life. I do not think of it as a diet, but rather a way of life. What is the difference between vegan and vegetarian? Vegans DO NOT eat dairy or eggs, but certain vegetarians eat one or the other and sometimes both. Why did I choose vegan? Are eggs a great form of protein? Sure...but do you know what happens to all the "extra" abused, sick adult chickens that are not wanted? They are fed LIVE into meat grinders or wood chippers. Graphic and painful to the heart - I know. For that reason I will not aid the abuse of these innocent animals. No dairy? I won't get into all the details now, but our human bodies are not meant to take in dairy as adults, no less the dairy of other animals that our bodies CAN NOT breakdown and digest properly. This explains those who are "lactose intolerant" (we all really are). There is much abuse that goes into the cows who are supplying us dairy as well...I won't go into the gruesome details.
After several health setbacks, the last few years I became quite the advocate of holistic and alternative medicine. Doctors, antibiotics? What is that? I have not taken anything in years and I feel terrific, so I cant imagine what incorporating being vegan will do for my life. Do I suggest others to stop doing what they are doing? No, its just a decision I made for me years ago.
I still have A LOT to learn, but this is just the beginning. I have notepads, papers and books all over with things I have printed, read, learned or jotted through the years - so I finally decided to just put it all here. Maybe it will help someone...
To top it off, there are numerous success stories of people who have had serious illnesses and the vegan diet saved their lives.
There seems to be plenty of delicious recipes out there for Vegans! I am certainly no creative cook (yet) , so this should be interesting. I look forward to seeing what I eat for dinner tonight. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment